In 2019, tired of their daily commutes and living for weekends, Charlie Low, then head of analytics for an adventure travel company, and design consultancy engineer Dale Comely decided to leave the nine-to-five behind by converting an old DHL delivery van into an off-grid mobile home, so they could live a simpler life and travel around Europe. They wrote a best-selling guide to converting vans into campervans, and launched their award-winning business, Climbingvan, which helps others with their campervan builds and provides an off-grid electrical system design service.
So, what key start-up lessons did they learn and how do they run a business from their van while travelling around Europe? We talk to Charlie Low and Dale Comley of Climbingvan about their start up journey.
Forming a company
Funding a business
- S1E4 Raising start-up funding and managing cashflow [podcast episode]
- Start up funding
- Essential guide to producing sustainable products and services
- How Clear Three made their business carbon neutral [podcast episode]
Sources of support
- Small business support – overview
- Join the Donut Small Business Collective
- Essential guide to accessing knowledge and networks
- Essential guide to getting help setting up and running a business
About our experts
Our guests are Charlie Low and Dale Comely, founders of award-winning business Climbingvan, which helps others with their campervan builds and provides an off-grid electrical system design service.
In 2019, they left their nine-to-five jobs behind and converted an old DHL delivery van so they could live a simpler life and travel around Europe. They wrote a best-selling guide to converting vans into campervans and launched Climbingvan.
About our sponsor
Thanks to Dell Technologies for sponsoring series four of the Start Your Own Business podcast.
Dell has what you need to start, scale, and succeed, including end-to-end tech solutions to boost productivity and maximise security so you can focus on innovation.
Our partnership with Dell means you get top products at special prices and a personalised consultation from a dedicated tech adviser who will get to know the goals of your business. Find out more by emailing the Dell for Startup UK representative at [email protected] .
To make sure you don’t miss an episode:
- Find “Start Your Own Business” on your podcast app of choice and hit the subscribe button – we recommend Apple Podcasts and Spotify
- Subscribe to our newsletter
To get tips, support and inspiration from other small business owners:
- Join our thriving Facebook group the Donut Small Business Collective