The best start-up advice usually comes from those who’ve been there and done it. In this start-up story episode, we speak to Troy Johnson, co-founder of Sweet Dee’s Jerk (Juici Jerk at the time of recording), an award-winning Caribbean food brand, kitchen and meal-kit maker, which is based in Tooting, South London. Sweet Dee’s Jerk also sells its delicious sauces online, as well as mouth-watering Caribbean delights from locations in London, including Selfridges, while also providing private and corporate catering services.
Troy started the business in 2017 with his brother, Jarrell, inspired and influenced by their mother’s West Indian home-cooked delights. But the Johnson brothers are winning many fans with their own unique, modern take on traditional Caribbean cooking. In this episode, Troy looks back at his start-up journey and offers great start-up advice.
Start up funding
- Essential guide to financing your start up business
- How I raised the money to start my business
- How we started up successfully without external finance
- How to start a business on a shoestring budget
Running your business
Growing your business
Marketing your business
- How to attract word-of-mouth recommendations
- How I use face-to-face networking to promote my business
About Troy Johnson
Troy started the business in 2017 with his brother, Jarrell after a brief spell working in marketing followed by a job as a delivery driver for Waitrose. He had recently graduated from Kingston University with a degree in Digital Communication and Media.
Now managing director of Sweet Dee’s Jerk, Troy was named on the Forbes 30 under 30 2022 list and was a finalist in the 2020 Great British Entrepreneur Awards and the 2022 Black British Business Awards.
About our sponsor
Thanks to Dell Technologies for sponsoring series four of the Start Your Own Business podcast.
Dell has what you need to start, scale, and succeed, including end-to-end tech solutions to boost productivity and maximise security so you can focus on innovation.
Our partnership with Dell means you get top products at special prices and a personalised consultation from a dedicated tech adviser who will get to know the goals of your business. Find out more by emailing the Dell for Startup UK representative at [email protected].
To make sure you don’t miss an episode:
- Find “Start Your Own Business” on your podcast app of choice and hit the subscribe button – we recommend Apple Podcasts and Spotify
- Subscribe to our newsletter
To get tips, support and inspiration from other small business owners:
- Join our thriving Facebook group the Donut Small Business Collective