Recruiting and managing staff can be a legal minefield with costly consequences if you get it wrong. There’s a wide range of legislation you must comply with as an employer if you want to steer clear of trouble.
In this episode, we speak to employment law specialist Hannah Thomas of Markel Law. She explains how small businesses often get into legal difficulties when hiring and managing staff and provides practical advice on how to get it right.
Find links to content related to the topics covered in this episode below.
Taking on your first employee
- Register as an employer with HMRC
- Check if a new employee has the right to work in the UK
- Create a written statement of employment
- Employment contracts
Advertising your post
Managing discipline and performance issues
About Hannah Thomas
Hannah Thomas is an employment law solicitor at Markel Law LLP. She writes the employment law and health and safety content for the Federation of Small Businesses’ (FSB) Legal Hub and provides regular updates on key employment issues affecting small businesses.
Markel Law LLP is the provider of the FSB Legal Protection Scheme, which includes access to a 24/7 legal advice helpline and to the FSB Legal Hub for FSB members, which contains over 1,300 downloadable and customisable documents, guides, templates and more.
To make sure you don’t miss an episode:
- Find “Start Your Own Business” on your podcast app of choice and hit the subscribe button – we recommend Apple Podcasts and Spotify
- Subscribe to our newsletter
To get tips, support, and inspiration from other small business owners:
- Join our thriving Facebook group the Donut Small Business Collective