While some businesses grow steadily over many years, others achieve significant growth in a far shorter time and are started with that key aim. A high-growth business is called a scale-up. A scalable business is defined as a business with average annual growth of at least 20% in the past three years, with at least 10 employees at the start of that period.
This episode looks at what types of high-growth business are most scalable and in which sectors they’re usually to be found. Our guest expert is Guy Rigby – AKA The Entrepreneurs’ Adviser – SME mentor and author. He explains how to start a high-growth business and how to overcome key scale-up challenges.
How to start a scalable business – show notes
Get ready for growth
- Essential guide to creating a sales strategy for growth
- Essential guide to getting key business strategies right
Funding business growth
- Funding business growth
- Essential guide to planning and budgeting for growth
- How to make your business attractive to investors
- How to use crowdfunding as a platform for growth
- Essential guide to business angels
- Essential guide to venture capital
Build a management team
- Essential guide to building your board
- Essential guide to accessing knowledge and networks
- Essential guide to finding advisers in finance, law, HR and intellectual property
Scaling and growing your business
- How to grow your new small business [podcast episode]
About our expert
Our guest is scale-up expert, Guy Rigby. Guy is an SME adviser, mentor and is the author of From Vision to Exit – The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Building and Selling a Business. Guy has spent most of his professional career advising the founders and management teams of growing SMEs, but he doesn’t just talk the talk. He’s built and sold his own accountancy firm and has been a co-founder and/or investor in businesses in the IT, caretech, property, defence, manufacturing and retail sectors.
About our sponsor
Thanks to Dell Technologies for sponsoring series four of the Start Your Own Business podcast.
Dell has what you need to start, scale, and succeed, including end-to-end tech solutions to boost productivity and maximise security so you can focus on innovation.
Our partnership with Dell means you get top products at special prices and a personalised consultation from a dedicated tech adviser who will get to know the goals of your business. Find out more by emailing the Dell for Startup UK representative at [email protected] .
To make sure you don’t miss an episode:
- Find “Start Your Own Business” on your podcast app of choice and hit the subscribe button – we recommend Apple Podcasts and Spotify
- Subscribe to our newsletter
To get tips, support and inspiration from other small business owners:
- Join our thriving Facebook group the Donut Small Business Collective